And it looks very charming.
Today, developer Infamous Rabbit and publisher Pineapple Works announced that they will release Oddventure, an RPG inspired by Earthbound and Undertale, on Switch and PC via Steam in the third quarter of 2022. A Kickstarter campaign to fund the game’s development will launch May 6th. Interested players can check out the game’s demo on Steam.
Here’s some more details on the game, straight from Pineapple Works:
Oddventure is a JRPG where you play as Charlie—a nihilistic and rebellious teenage girl with anger issues and social awkwardness. Your search for troublesome younger brother Bonzo is also looking for a way back home. The setting for Charlie’s misadventures is the Kingdom of Luxia, a land taken straight out of original Grimm Brothers’ fairy tales with a dark, Nietzschean twist.
- Meaningful choices – EVERY decision matters, sometimes in the most unpredictable ways.
- The friendly JRPG where nobody has to die… but can. In a horrible way.
- Countless hidden secrets reference to pop culture and fairy tales.
- Bitter-sweet comedy mixed with some coziness and dark humor.
- Frog milk as a currency.
- A life-changing gaming experience.
The game looks very charming and feature gorgeous pixel art, and the playable demo is a nice touch. Hopefully, it manages to honor the legacy of both Undertale and Earthbound while managing to find its own road. You can check out a trailer of the game below, courtesy of Infamous Rabbit.