Massive Capcom Leak Reveals Resident Evil 4 Remake, A New Shooter, And More
Earlier this month, Capcom experienced a massive privacy breach that targeted specific systems such as email and project servers in the form of a customized ransomware attack. The company has confirmed the level to which this leak has impacted Capcom, promising that customer information has remained private through it all. The same cannot be said for possible future game release plans, because this leak happened to reveal some big news for the year ahead.
A compiled list on Resetera notes which games have been a part of the massive leak, including the likes of a new Resident Evil multiplayer game referenced by “Project Highway/Villager Online,” an unannounced project for Switch called Guillotine, and more.
For Resident Evil fans, one of the findings alleges that a demo Resident Evil Village will debut just before a launch planned for this upcoming April in 2021. According to the emails, it is set for a current-gen release as well. Also found in the emails is that Resident Evil 4 for the Oculus Rift could be announced here soon in addition to the aforementioned multiplayer experience for Resident Evil Village, which is said to have a battle royale component to it.
Also included in the leak was a new Ace Attorney collection to be released for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch players as well as a few unannounced projects like the new project coming to Switch in February codenamed Guillotine in addition to the May-release unannounced project called Reiwa. Also unannounced is a shooter multiplayer game called Shield that is reportedly specifically geared for streamers.
The released documents also claim that Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 will be arriving on PC post-console launch with the former arriving in October 2021 and the latter just before that for a June 2021 PC and Switch date.
Devil May Cry 2 source code was also found alongside Umbrella Chronicles in addition to paperwork that looks like Resident Evil 7 DLC will have a timed exclusivity agreement with Sony, in addition to demo exclusivity.
A few things to keep in mind when looking at the above information. Firstly, nothing is confirmed until the company itself confirms it. No matter how notable the source or how authentic the leaks, treat everything unconfirmed as a rumor until further notice. Secondly, much of these documents date back to 2018, pre-global pandemic, which means the likelihood in a change of plans for much of these projects is pretty high.
Capcom itself has also addressed the leak in a post shared by industry insider Daniel Ahmad:
Beginning in the early morning hours of November 2, 2020, some of the Capcom Group networks experienced issues that affected access to certain systems, including email and file servers. The company has confirmed that this was due to unauthorized access carried out by a third party and that it has halted some operations of its internal networks as of November 2. Capcom expressed its deepest regret for any inconvenience this may cause to its various stakeholders. Further, it stated that at present there is no indication that any customer information was breached. This incident has not affected connections for playing the company’s games online or access to its various websites.
Presently, Capcom is consulting with the police as well as other related authorities while both carrying out an investigation and taking measures to restore its systems. The company will continue to offer relevant updates as the facts become clear, via its websites and other means.
Much of the revealed plans are early on in 2021, so it will be interesting to see what Capcom has to reveal in the coming months if the above documentation proves accurate. It’s also not unheard of that both of the upcoming Monster Hunter titles would be coming to PC given Monster Hunter World’s massive success on that platform.